Saturday, May 14, 2011

Introducing: the Weekend Warrior and his Wife

When my husband enlisted in Dec 2010, it changed our lives.  I decided then that I wanted to record our journey, but wanted to wait until the First Real Change:  Basic Combat Training.  His ship date is looming ever nearer, so here I am, wasting a perfectly good Saturday afternoon designing (poorly) my ARNG Wife blog.

Who are we?  We're young educators in the heart of Oklahoma, married just over a year.  We're both in graduate school.  We live in the suburbs in a house big enough to accommodate the children we'll (hopefully) have in the next few years with two dogs who think they're our children.  To keep this business slightly anonymous, we'll just go by our first initials, M (that's me!) and D (my husband).

We work hard.  Full time jobs and part time jobs and graduate school keep us busy, but we cherish the time we have together.  Especially now - we're T-minus 16 days till BCT.

More than just ramblings about our "Army" experience - in quotes because not even for a second do I think I could handle a full-time soldier - I want to chronicle how it changes our lives - the hard times, the good times, laughter, and tears.

D is incredibly humble about his service - it's something he has felt he needed to do for his entire life - but I'm so proud of him.  In telling our story, I'll start at the beginning - the few weeks leading up to enlistment - and keep going.  Who knows - maybe for 20 years until D is eligible for retirement!

~~M

No comments:

Post a Comment