Saturday, June 18, 2011

7(ish) weeks to go.

So, after I wrote last week about D's ultra-quick call on Saturday morning to give me his address, I also got to talk to him on Sunday.  "I don't know what we did right," he said when I answered the phone, "but we have 30 minutes for phone privileges today."

It was so amazing to get to hear his voice, even if it was only for 25 minutes or so since he had to get back to formation within the 30 minutes.  We talked about little things, mostly - the workshop I was participating in, what training was coming up for him.  He could have been speaking jibberish, for all I care; listening to him helps hold me over.

I've continued to get letters almost daily from him, outlining small things that he's up to.  They were issued weapons this week and assigned to Ability Groups for PT.  He mentioned that he got to run with the Battalion Commander this week, which he found very motivating, and he was proud of himself for being one of the only ones in his group to hold out till the end.  He let me know that his schedule had Family Day as 8/11 and Graduation as 8/12, but I hadn't had any "official" confirmation until Friday.

Finally, on Friday, his cadre updated their website.  Even though I (still) haven't received a Welcome Letter, there was one posted and it listed graduation as 8/12.  I'm supposed to be getting "more" information later, but I haven't even gotten my initial info in the mail, so we'll see.  Nonetheless, I've already splurged on two nights at a nice hotel in Lawton for our reunion, and I can begin a(n official) countdown!

Meanwhile, with my workshop (and 12+ hour days) over for the summer, I'm trying to come up with activities to keep myself busy.  If you have any suggestions, let me know!

Let the countdown commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment