Monday, June 25, 2012

Off to a Great Start

After leaving on 14 June, we had about a 30 second phone call after midnight Friday morning so D could tell me he arrived safely, but then I didn't hear from him again till Sunday afternoon.  I was driving home from my grandma's out in the boonies of eastern Oklahoma when my phone rang, so I immediately pulled over thinking he may be able to give me his address.  Texting and driving is bad enough, I didn't think I should talk, drive, and write!

"I only have three minutes," was his opening line.

Turns out that in Reception at Ft. Leonard Wood, unlike Ft. Sill last summer, their phones were confiscated ASAP and not returned.  I didn't hear from him again (minus one "not personal" call he made about our paperwork and allowances that lasted two minutes) until Thursday.

Apparently D is staying in the Bravo Hotel - a brand new building of barracks at Ft. Leonard Wood which are really, super nice.  At least compared to the bays he stayed in last summer.  He has a roommate, but I'm sure that's worth it to get a (semi-)private bathroom!  When he was assigned his room, all of his belongings were also returned.  That means he got his phone back and was able to text me (and then call me) almost all day on Thursday!  Even better, he got our Wifi Hotspot back and we were able to FaceTime!  (We live in the future, y'all!)

Since their training wasn't scheduled to start until Sunday, he was given a lot of personal time which means I talked to him a lot on Friday and Saturday, and then on Sunday when their short session of briefings was completed.  Something I'm incredibly grateful for this summer is that during the duration of his training, he will receive personal time each evening.  I'm looking forward to being able to talk with him - at least by text message - every day.  Such a blessing.

So, really - we're off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment