Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Three Weeks Left!

This week was full of milestones.  The soldiers were issued their dress-blues for graduation so they will have ample time to have them altered and get them into prime wearing condition (their berets have to be brushed, since they're wool).  D found out that he'll get two special badges - one for his Sharpshooting status, and the other for grenades, which will be Expert! 

On Saturday, Foxtrot Battery of the 1-31st Field Artillery Battalion at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma officially switched from White to Blue Phase.  This signifies quite a lot to the soldiers:  they get more privileges (I got to talk to D for FOUR hours on Sunday!), their schedules are less hectic, and it's almost time to come home.

The 8 km march began yesterday and there are two remaining requirements for graduation.  The first is the final PT test, and the second is the dreaded 16 km march, which will happen the week before graduation.  The PT test is really what D is dreading, not the march.  I know he'll do great, but there's a lot of pressure on him to be successful as I'm sure you can imagine.  Keep him (and me) in your thoughts this week, and most importantly, think strong and speedy thoughts toward him in the wee hours of Saturday morning.  I know he'll appreciate it! 

The 16 km march is only dreaded because it's hotter than Hades in Oklahoma right now.  As in, there have been 55 consecutive days over 90F, and 33 consecutive days over 100F in the Lawton area.  Also, there's been a whopping 0.10" of rain in the last 30 days.  I can't even begin to imagine the torture that will be marching 16 km in full battle gear.  I'm complaining about the heat and I get to sit in AC all day!

Supposedly, there is information coming about Family Day and Graduation at the end of the week.  I know that the cadre is extra busy with keeping our soldiers safe and (somewhat) cool, so I'm not going to complain (much) about the timeliness, but it will certainly be nice to have a layout of events.  D has informed me that early in the morning of Family Day, there will be a Family Run.  I tried not to laugh too hard when I asked if there was a Family Walk available in an indoor, air-conditioned facility.  He tried to play it off, but I know he'll want to see me in all my 0500 running-gear glory; I'll try to rough it out just for him.

My main complaint, of course, was that I wanted to be pretty when I see him for the first time in 10 weeks, but he assured me that there would be time between the "run" and the rest of the day's events to go back to the hotel for primping.  I guess we'll see when I get the schedule.

I had a rough moment this Sunday when I was talking to him because he reminded me that we'll be doing this whole mess again next summer when he's in OCS (Officer Candidate School).  Imagining a time away from him again when we're usually footloose-and-fancy-free (we're both in education, remember?) is tough; but by next summer it'll be old hat, right?  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment