Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pffffft, PFT

If you've been keeping up with us on Becoming an ARNG Wife, you know that this past weekend was the dreaded Physical Fitness Test.  Up to this point, D has only participated in PFAs (Physical Fitness Assessments) - and I definitely won't use this venue to talk about how test and assessment mean the same thing and that the Army should really be calling one a formative assessment and the other a summative assessment because I doubt that anyone reading this wants to hear about educational assessment theories (if you do, you know how to get in touch with me!).  Anyway, a PFA is basically a practice test used to gauge your improvement and show you where you stand for the REAL thing.

The REAL thing took place on 30 July.  D had taken a practice test during each drill weekend previous to BCT and then a couple of times during BCT.  Each time, he had shown improvement, but his biggest challenge was always the run.  For civilian folks (like me), here's a breakdown.  The PFT consists of 3 parts:  situps, pushups, and the run.  You get two minutes for each of the first two - the idea is to do as many situps or pushups as you can in those two minutes.  The run is for two miles.  To pass, you need at least 150 points with a minimum of 50 in each category.  I know that seems like a useless qualifier, but without it a soldier could potentially pass if they ran really slow but could max out pushups; so really, it's to make sure everyone can perform reasonably well in each category.

To get 50 points for pushups, males in D's age category (22-26) have to do at least 31 pushups (women have different standards).  Fifty points in the situp portion requires 43 situps.  The two mile run has to be completed in 17:30 or less.  Since his arrival at BCT, D had pretty consistently gotten enough points in the pushup and situp categories - which was a feat in its own right, since during drill he hadn't been able to do that.  His progress has been astounding to watch.  His first run time at BCT was just under 20 minutes - 19:57.  A ten minute mile is pretty impressive to me since the last time I ran a mile (in the air-conditioned gym on a treadmill) it took me close to twelve and a half minutes.  In his second PFA, he ran an 18:17.  So, coming into the PFT - the one that matters and could make or break graduation - he needed to shave 47 seconds from his run time.

I had been thinking about it all week.  And worrying about it all week.  I avoided writing anything about it in my letters, though, because I didn't want D to think I didn't think he could do it.  Or put any more pressure on him about it.  I did think he could do it and I knew I'd be upset if he didn't pass, since that had the potential for delaying his return home.  On Saturday morning, I woke up about 5:30 am and said a little prayer for him; for the rest of the day - especially after his Battery Commander posted a God-awful note on Facebook about how most of the battery had done well, but there were a "few families and soldiers" that were going to be "disappointed in the next couple of weeks" - I worried and fretted and was anxious.  I texted him late in the afternoon just to say that I couldn't wait to talk to him and imagine my surprise when my phone dinged a few minutes later with a reply!

I texted back almost immediately - "How did it go this morning?"  Then, my lovely husband almost gave me a heart attack when he didn't respond for a few minutes.  "Do you have time to talk?" he finally answered.  I was keeping our nephew, T,  this weekend (he's 11) and so D didn't know if we were busy.  Of course, T was busy playing video games on the computer so I replied affirmatively and within a few seconds, my phone rang.

After our exchange of hellos and how-are-yous, I asked again.  "How'd it go today, honey?"  Here's about how our conversation went (my inner dialog is italicized):
M:  "Did it go okay?"
D:  "What do you want to hear about first?"
M:  "I don't care - I want to know about all of it!"  (You're killing me, D - just tell me!)
D:  "Well...  let's start with pushups.  I did 45.  And I quit doing situps before time was called."
M:  "But you did enough, right?"  (Why would you stop before doing enough?)
D:  "Oh yeah, I did 45 situps, too.  I only needed 43.  I wanted to save my abs for the run."
M:  "How was the run?" (Spontaneously combusting, here, D!)
D:  "You want to guess my time?"
M:  "No!  Just tell me!"  (Guessing too fast would be mean and so would guessing too slow.  Better to not guess!)
D:  "Well, you know I needed 17:30, right?"  
M:  "Yes."  (Seriously, D.  Me == dying)
D:  "Well my time was in the 17s."
M:  "Okay..."  (the upper 17s or lower 17s?)
D:  "It was 17......... thirty-............."  (Meanwhile, I'm dying on the inside) "exactly.  17:30 on the nose"
M:  *passes out from waiting*
D:  "I did it."
M:  "I knew you could!  I'm so proud of you!!"

So, other than my husband trying to kill me with anticipation, everything turned out great!  He got the score he needed - actually, let's see:  45 pushups gives 66 points, 45 situps gives 53 points, and his time of 17:30 gives exactly 50, so he scored:  169!  *much celebratory dancing and squealing and screaming*

On Sunday, he got his phone practically all day, which was so nice.  He had time to call his parents, too, which I'm sure they appreciated.  I tell D all the time I feel bad for monopolizing all of his talk-time, but I only sort of feel bad for it.  I really like that he calls me!  We had a great conversation about Family Day and Graduation (which I have still not gotten any information about!), but it was cut short because he had to help load the truck for their 16 k march.

The soldiers are spending half of this week bivouacking, during which - at some point - they will complete their last requirement for graduation.  They will also get to participate in a watered-down version of NIC-at-Night, which I've mentioned in previous posts.  D was glad for it, since they had thought they wouldn't get to do it at all.  Then, it will be time to turn in gear and wait for Family Day to roll around.  In EIGHT MORE DAYS!

Is it too early to pack?

No comments:

Post a Comment